Campus/Business Unit:Varsity College Westville
Direct Reporting Line:Head : Academic
Varsity College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE). The IIE enjoys the reputation of being at the forefront of private higher education in South Africa, and is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) to provide higher education qualifications accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
The IIE's Varsity College has a vancancy for a Information Specialist at our Westville Campus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Library Administration
- Manage the routine operation of the inter library loans and requests service
- Controls periodicals
- Maintains collections for the library
- Distributes material for cataloguing
- Liaises with academic operations to ensure lecturers have all the academic material they require for presenting lectures
- Ensures The Independent Institute of Education policies and procedures are adhered to
Provision of Information Services and User Information
- Conduct class visits and live interactive training session for students and lecturers
- Assists students with referencing
- Trains students and lecturers on how to use the library databases
- Conducts presentations for Student Information / Digital Literacy Classes and Lecturer Information Sessions
- Provides assignment support to lecturers and students
- Provides guidance to students on academic writing and referencing styles
- Addresses user enquiries
Library Resources Marketing
- Designs posters and library packs to market library resources on the campus
- Arranges monthly displays according to the calendar set out by the National Librarian and the Student Relations Manager
- Promotes library resources
- Maintains records for payment of invoices
- Monitor the performance of all functions of library automated library systems
- Updates new books on the Sirsi Dynix to ensure accurate record keeping
- Recruit and train student assistants
- Interpersonal and communications skills
- Problem solving skills
- Best suited to a friendly, organised person who works accurately and is able to handle pressure
- Coaching and mentoring skills
- Time management skills
- Digital literacy skills
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Library Information Science or B. BIBL Degree.
- Postgraduate or Honours qualification advantageous.
- Must have Professional registration with LIASA
Minimum Work Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years' library experience in an Academic library
- EE/AA position.
- Reliable transportation required.
Information Specialist Staff Working Hours
- Monday to Friday 07h00 - 16h00
- The Information Specialist is required to work 1 Saturday shift a month from 08h00 to 13h00 (timing of this monthly Saturday shift will be determined by the Head: Academic).
- In the week where the Information Specialist works the Saturday shift the Friday working hours will change to 07h00-11h00 accordingly.