Campus/Business Unit:Varsity College Cape Town
Direct Reporting Line:Head of School : School of Psychology and Communication
Varsity College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE). The IIE enjoys the reputation of being at the forefront of private higher education in South Africa, and is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) to provide higher education qualifications accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
The IIE's Varsity College has a vacancy for a Deputy Head of School: School of Psychology and Communication at our Cape Town Campus
Duties and Responsibilities:
Academic Leadership & Management
- Developing and implementing the strategic plan for the School of Psychology and Communication in conjunction with the long-term vision of the Independent Institute of Education (IIE) Varsity College as a quality higher education provider.
- Providing academic leadership for the undergraduate, post-graduate and continuing professional development (CPD) of the School of Psychology and Communication.
- Reviewing and implementing changes to the existing programmes and/or curricula.
- Developing new programmes in collaboration with The Central Academic Team Heads of Programme for accreditation and curriculum material development in the cognate area.
- Managing and leading the interface with Independent Institute of Education (IIE) in the subject discipline.
- Developing and driving the implementation of relevant teaching and learning initiatives (i.e. blended learning) in the cognate area based on current industry and research trends.
- Developing a teaching model to provide optimal delivery of curriculum, teaching, learning and assessment.
- Planning resource allocation for all aspects of running a successful school.
- Supporting and developing the national and campus academic teams in the cognate area e.g. Learning Management Systems (LMS) training and other relevant technology-based applications.
- Providing specialist knowledge and supporting to the national marketing team for the development of a marketing strategy for the School of Psychology and Communication.
- Actively teaching to serve as an exemplar in best teaching practice including scholarly activities such as setting and marking of assessments.
- Learning analytics: Reporting on students' academic results: throughput rates, progression rates, graduation and completion rates on a national basis and ensure appropriate interventions are implemented where necessary.
IIE Head of Programme
- Management of academic development for select modules within the School, in consultation and collaboration with the IIE Operations teams.
- Reviewing, developing and implementing the curriculum and syllabus for the selected programmes or modules.
- Acting as the interface between the IIE Head of Faculty and the Varsity College National Programme Operations Manager (POM) (in the absence of the Head of School)
- Identifying and briefing module developers.
- Identifying external moderators.
- Identifying internal reviewers for all modules within the School of Psychology and Communication.
- Performing a high level review of academic development for modules within the School.
- Participating in key IIE governance structures and committees. (PCC, Faculty Boards, Academic Planning & Development Committee, Examinations Committee, Brands Results, Postgraduate & Research Committee) where appropriate.
Industry and Professional Management
- Academic positioning of Varsity College with other higher education institutions.
- Facilitation of, and involvement in scholarly activities e.g., Conference Papers, PSYSSA and Higher Degree Studies.
- Serving as the key liaison with academic partners in the cognate area.
- Representing the Independent Institute of Education (IIE) and Varsity College on certain external partner faculty boards and committees.
- Facilitating compliance with provider's policies, regulations and procedures.
- Thought leadership - written and published opinion pieces in media to build academic credibility in the wider SA society/community.
- Working with the campus Programme Managers and supporting the development of that role at each campus.
- Developing the School's academic culture and community in collaboration with the school's Programme Managers at a campus level.
- Implementing a formal communication structure within the School, at a campus level through the Programme Manager.
- Supporting the campuses in the recruitment, selection, approval and development of the teaching team in the cognate area.
- Communicating with the campuses on new developments, recommendations and trends and facilitate troubleshooting.
- Supporting the campus in the operation of a bursary programme sponsored by industry where possible.
- Leadership and management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy including ability to work on online systems.
- Professional communication skills.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills.
- Ability to analyse and interpret data.
- Attention to quality and detail.
- Advanced teaching and learning expertise evidenced by a Teaching Portfolio.
Minimum qualification required:
- Master's in Psychology/English Literature/Media Studies.
- Phd/Doctorate in Psychology/English Literature/Media Studies.
- For internal candidates with commensurate institutional knowledge/practical experience, those who have submitted their Master's dissertation will also be considered.
Minimum work experience required:
- Minimum of 5 years Teaching and Learning experience (preferably in a teaching environment).
- Qualifications and experience in academic work relevant to offerings in the School.
- Some industry experience related to the field/s.
- EE/AA position.
- Travel and work outside of normal hours will be required for which, given the level of seniority of the post, no overtime payment will be made
- The Deputy Head of School is appointed on academic conditions of service which includes research leave and work from home privileges.
- Kindly note that this position can be based at either our Waterfall National Office or Cape Town National Office.