Campus/Business Unit:Varsity College National Office
Direct Reporting Line:Academic Support Manager
Varsity College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE). The IIE enjoys the reputation of being at the forefront of private higher education in South Africa, and is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) to provide higher education qualifications accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
The IIE's Varsity College has a vacancy for a Research Manager at our Waterfall National Office (Midrand)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build the research capacity of the academic staff to ensure that academic staff achieve targeted individual research output unit/s (as outlined in each academic staff members' KPA) through the development and maintenance of a programme of training, peer support and mentoring.
- Promote and develop a programme of research on each of the included campuses by facilitating and supporting the development and implementation of a programme of research projects on the campus.
- Undertake and organise training and development of academic staff through research-related workshops and/or the provision of appropriate resources and interventions.
- Mentor active researchers by providing support and supervision for approved projects inlcuding but not limited to providing consultation and feedback on queries.
- Develop and implement a programme of at least 3 collaborative research projects a year for the region that result in submission of articles to peer reviewed, accredited journals.
- Accountable for monitoring brands compliance with The IIE 018 Academic Conditions of Service, including training Academic staff on the provisions and policy guidelines and dissemination of the policy in line with annual updates and escalating for management as appropriate any instances of non-compliance.
Promote and Build a Culture of Scholarship:
- Promote and develop a culture of scholarship within the academic team by identifying and driving research questions and projects based on the work being done by the team.
- Actively support academic staff who are studying postgraduate qualifications at Masters and Doctoral level.
- Develop supervisors in order to improve the quality of postgraduate supervision.
- Provide support and guidance to the campus *Research Specialists (*role to be piloted in 2021).
- Ensure all academic staff capture research activity on the Research Academic Tracking System (RATS) database on the
- Collate and provide the information due for the biannual research progress reports.
- A member of the IIE Research and Postgraduate Committee.
- A member of the national Research Manager's Group.
Own Research Output:
- Contribute to research output by achieving own annual research output unit/s target.
Lecturing and/or Supervision:
- Lecture a postgraduate research module per year or supervise at least 1 POD of postgraduate students.
- Assist with research support for new qualification submissions.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Exceptional communication skills both verbal and written
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Leadership abilities to guide, influence, motivate and develop Strong organisational, planning and time management skills
Minimum Education Requirement:
- Master's degree is a minimum requirement however, the ideal candidate needs to either have or currently be studying towards a Doctoral Degree / PhD (NQF Level 10).
Minimum Work Experience Requirement:
- A minimum of 5 years relevant work experience in tertiary education sector. Must be an established academic leader and scholar with an excellent publication research record and successful supervision of postgraduate students.
- EE/AA position.