Campus/Business Unit:Varsity College Midrand
Direct Reporting Line:Vice Principal - Academics
Varsity College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE). The IIE enjoys the reputation of being at the forefront of private higher education in South Africa, and is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) to provide higher education qualifications accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
The IIEs Varsity College has a vacancy for a: Programme Manager : (School of Education) - Waterfall Campus
Duties and Responsibilities:
Academic Leadership & Management
- Overall leadership and management of the School on campus.
- Manage the interface with the Head of School.
- Plan resource allocation for the academic operations of all programmes within the School on campus.
- Review academic results of all students within the School on campus and implement an appropriate teaching and learning strategy for "At risk" students and "At risk" modules.
- Manage academic counselling and support to students within the school on campus.
- Report on the academic performance of the School on the campus to Vice Principal - Academic, campus Principal and Head of School, and any other relevant national staff member.
- Drive the implementation of relevant teaching and learning initiatives within the School on campus Support the development of new programmes for accreditation.
- Support development of academic material and assessments on programmes within the School by acting as developer, module leader, moderator or head of programme for the Central Academic Team (CAT).
- Performance management and development of permanent academic staff within the School on campus.
- Manage lecturer development in consultation with the Teaching and Learning specialist.
- Ensure representation of the school on the Programme Co-ordination Committee (PCC) calls.
- Discipline Module Support role.
- Support the Teaching & Learning Specialist in the management of the peer review process and the internal moderation model.
Industry and Professional Management
- Develop and maintain relationships with professional industry to support placement of students, bursaries and sponsorships and access to professional expertise.
- Facilitation of and involvement in professional and scholarly activities e.g. Conference Papers and Higher Degree Studies.
- Organise campus events for the School to promote professional industry relationships.
- Represent the Independent Institute of Education (The IIE) and Varsity College at professional institutions, on external partner faculty boards and other relevant committees.
- Provide specialist support to the campus senior management team for all programmes within the School.
- Provide specialist support to the campus operations team responsible for the operation of all programmes within the School on campus.
- Lead the recruitment, selection, and appointment of the academic team of the School within the campus.
- Provide support to the campus marketing team with specialised knowledge of the programmes with the School.
- Manage the Development Task.
- Manage plagiarism offences and disciplinary procedures.
- Manage and oversee the school's role in National/campus initiatives, such as Summer School, Saturday School, Speed Week, RESTART, 6 Week Student Engagement Programme, Numeracy Tutorial Sessions, Elevate.
- Involvement in, and management of, academic support and administrative duties during the campus registration period.
- Supervision of students on Honours programmes (where applicable).
- "Manage the student tracking process."
- Conduct Student consultations.
- Lecture up to 100 hours per year OR 2 modules per semester (including supervision).
- Leadership and management skills
- Professional/advanced communication skills
- Organisational and planning skills
- Proven computer literacy competence
- Tolerance for operating in a pressurised environment and industry
- Tangible evidence of participation in the planning and/or implementation of change management interventions
- Ability to analyse and interpret data
- Attention to detail and focus on quality
- Advanced teaching and learning expertise evidenced by a Teaching Portfolio
Minimum Qualification Requirement:
- Masters or equivalent in relevant School (NQF Level 9)
Minimum Experience Requirement:
- Minimum of 5 years Teaching and Learning experience (preferably in teaching environment). Must have an understanding of the current regulatory framework and its impact on higher education and private colleges.
- EE/AA Position