Campus/Business Unit:Varsity College Midrand
Direct Reporting Line:Vice Principal Academic
Varsity College, an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (Pty) Ltd, is a registered private higher education institution.
The IIE's Varsity College Waterfall campus has a vancancy for a Librarian.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Library Administration
- Manage the routine operation of the inter library loans and requests service
- Controls periodicals
- Maintains collections for the library
- Distributes material for cataloguing
- Liaises with academic operations to ensure lecturers have all the academic material they require for presenting lectures
- Ensures The Independent Institute of Education policies and procedures are adhered to
Provision of Information Services and User Information
- Conduct class visits and live interactive training session for students and lecturers
- Assists students with referencing
- Trains students and lecturers on how to use the library databases
- Conducts presentations for Student Information / Digital Literacy Classes and Lecturer Information Sessions
- Provides assignment support to lecturers and students
- Provides guidance to students on academic writing and referencing styles
- Addresses user enquiries
Library Resources Marketing
- Designs posters and library packs to market library resources on the campus
- Arranges monthly displays according to the calendar set out by the National Librarian and the Student Relations Manager
- Promotes library resources
- Maintains records for payment of invoices
- Monitor the performance of all functions of library automated library systems
- Updates new books on the Sirsi Dynix to ensure accurate record keeping
- Recruit and train student assistants
- Interpersonal and communications skills
- Problem solving skills
- Best suited to a friendly, organised person who works accurately and is able to handle pressure
- Coaching and mentoring skills
- Time management skills
- Digital literacy skills
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Library Information Science or B. BIBL Degree.
- Postgraduate or Honours qualification advantageous.
- Must have Professional registration with LIASA
Minimum Work Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years library experience in an Academic library
- EE/AA position.
- Reliable transportation required.
Please note the following working hours:
Week One Working Hours:
- MONDAY TO FRIDAY 07H00 - 16H00
Week Two Working Hours:
- MONDAY TO THURSDAY 10H00-19H00
- FRIDAY 08H00-12H00
- SATURDAY 08H00-13H00