Campus/Business Unit:Varsity College Cape Town
Direct Reporting Line:Vice-Principal Operations
Varsity College, an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (Pty) Ltd, is a registered private higher education institution.
Academic Operations Management:
- Manage the academic operational delivery of designated programmes. This may include programme specific events e.g. Moot court, Info evenings.
- The UFS AOC specifically manages additional requirements such as: couriers scripts, overseas the student's registration and meets additional required deadlines.
- Management of the AOA and work collaboratively with the respective AO.
- Compile and manage timetables of designated programmes.
- Compile, manage and distribute academic reports.
- Manage and notify the lecturers, students, AOAs and AOs of any changes that may affect their designated programmes. This includes the PAS, additional learning material, communication received from CAT etc.
- Verification of formative results timeously in order to reflect on the Student Portal.
- Authorise final and CASS results as per Academic Policy.
- Ensure moderation is loaded as per the scheduled deadlines.
- Ensure data related to assessments, results and moderation is handled accurately.
- Attend to assessment queries.
- Capture student notes in SAM.
- Crisis management of any unforeseen circumstances that may occur on the AOC's programmes.
- Order academic material requirements for lecturing team through National when prompted.
- Provide support during academic orientation. This includes programme information presentations, academic policies, outlines of the year etc.
- Attend Operations meetings and may be required to record minutes.
- Manage the dissemination of policies.
- Involvement in campus PULSE and Groups Internal Audits.
- Assist the VPO with the lecturer budget.
- Work on Student Retention. This includes calling and counselling students, and assisting with registration related queries.
- Be accountable for all aspects related to the graduation process. Adhere to policy and timelines set by CAT and National.
- Representation on the Academic Forum.
- May be required to attend to a student's disciplinary hearing.
- Meet project deadlines as determined by National or the VPO.
- Work collaboratively with the the other departments.
- Resolve and direct stakeholder queries within a committed time frame.
- Liaise with external institutions: University of South Africa (UNISA), University of the Free State (UFS), Public Relations Institute of South Africa (PRISA).
- Draft letters of conduct on request.
- Conduct class visits on a regular basis.
- Assist with Student Hub queries that are unresolved or may require further attention.
- Assist with the roll out of all relevant customer related surveys.
- Attend informal meet-and-greet sessions with students and lecturers.
- Academic Department: co-ordinate workshops, identify at risk students and lecturers, direct academic related queries, and facilitate logistics related to academic concessions.
- Student Services: planning CR venue software, IT assessments, projectors and IT equipment issues in classrooms.
- Finance: oversee the submission of exam billing and fee credits and process academic credit applications.
- Marketing: during registration Marketing will liaise with AOCs in terms of venue capacity to accommodate student numbers, and provide additional counselling should a student wish to move programmes.
- Student Records Coordinator: work with the SRC during registration, assist with document tracking, direct cancellations, de-registrations and transfers, be aware of holds on international students and registrar requirements set by SRC.
- National Office: address queries with POM, and the roll-out of directives or projects.
Management Of The Academic Operations Administrator And Assessment Officer:
- Maintain a strong communication channel that supports all operational requirements that may impact the designated programmes.
- Responsible for the management of the results and the moderation process on campus.
- Assist in the training and supervision AOA and AO.
- Oversee that the AOA and AO are adhering to policies, processes and systems.
- Monitor the capturing and processing of results and attendance for all designated programmes.
- Monitor and track marking and moderation deadlines.
- Monitor the management of storage of assessments on campus.
- Monitor the administrative functions e.g. filing, answering phone calls, responding to emails Monitor that timetabling is captured in CAMS.
- Extract Student Hub reports, relating to assessment applications, and incorporate these into assessment planning.
- Communicate all assessment changes to lecturers and students.
Independent Contractor (Lecturer) Supervision - In Collaboration With The Academic Department
- Manage Independent Contractor (IC) lecturers and address/direct their queries.
- Manage the rescheduling of lectures and timetable queries.
- Monitor lecturer's administrative performance.
- Notify the Academic Department of lecturer gaps.
- Manage lecturing loads regarding module allocations.
- Attend interviews and mock lectures.
- Work with the JHRO in collecting the HR documentation required for IC appointment.
- Ensure that lecturers are approved prior to receiving their contract.
- Draft accurate IC Agreements and annexures.
- Process lecturer claims/timesheets on APS.
- Discuss Academic Operational processes with ICs.
- Work with the Academic Department in driving lecturer evaluations.
¢ Interpersonal and communications skills
¢ Problem solving skills
¢ Best suited to a friendly, organised person who works accurately and is able to handle pressure
¢ Coaching and mentoring skills
¢ Time management skills
- Minimum of a three year Diploma or Bachelors Degree. Postgraduate qualification advantageous
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in administration, 2 years in project or operational management, 2 years in a supervisory role and 3 years experience in customer service
- Non-EE/AA position