Campus/Business Unit:Varsity College Sandton
Direct Reporting Line:Principal
Varsity College, an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (Pty) Ltd is a registered higher education institution.
The Sandton campus has a vacancy for a Programme Manager (Education).
The duties of the Programme Manager will include:
- Represent the programme in the region on behalf of the Head of School: Education
- Undergraduate, Post-Graduate and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) academic leadership in the School of Education at VC in the region
- Overall responsibility for academic management of the programmes at regional level
- Brand Ambassador to external stake holders.
- Initiate and design annual marketing strategy for the Education Faculty in conjunction with VC marketing.
- Liaise with the marketing department for programme marketing projects (e.g. Education Career Day; Open Day)
- Specialized marketing and relationship building capacity with key stakeholders
- Manage and create relationships with schools (public and independent); relevant provincial Departments of Education; National DHET and DBE; Education publishers; South African Council for Educators (SACE); relevant Non - Governmental Organizations.
- Assist the Head of Subject with the development of the faculty
- Support and manage key aspects of the Varsity College Scholarships for Aspiring Teachers in the region screening; interviews; support and academic tracking of scholarship students
- Preparation and reporting on faculty budgets in consultation with Senior Management team on campus, Campus Principal/s, Head of School:
- Manage expenditure
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
The following staff will report to the Programme Manager: Education
- The full-time Education lecturer/s in the region
- Independent contractors for education-based modules
- Head of Department: Education (dual reporting to Vice-principal Operations)
- Academic Assistant: Teacher Education
- Oversee and connect in with campuses around recruitment and appointment of new lecturers for full-time and part-time modules
- Approval of all overtime and leave for the faculty
- Review of all IC contracts
ACADEMIC MANAGEMENT AND SUPPORT
The Programme Manager (Education) has overall responsibility for academic management of the programmes at the campus/in the region and must ensure that there is a consistently high quality of teaching and learning.
- Oversee the campus appointed Full-time lecturers (FTL) for Education in the region, by ensuring continuity in the academic support of the Teacher Education programme offerings across campuses.
- Faculty specific academic support for Education lecturers and students in the region with the support of the FTL for Education and VPSS on the specific campus.
- Management and mentorship of faculty staff members in the region supported by the FTL for Education on the specific campus
- Co-ordinate the peer review process and peer review the education lecturers in conjunction with the SS team on the campus/in the region.
- Co-ordinate the necessary training and development of lecturers in the region
- Organise, coordinate and conduct faculty briefings/meetings for School of Education team at (specific region)
- Deal with general issues within the faculty
- Championing Technology Enhanced Learning
- Monitor the online SETs of Education lecturers
CONTRIBUTION TO SCHOLARSHIP AND COMMUNITIES OF PRACTICE
- Encourage communication and a culture of sharing within the lecturing body
- Work with Education lecturers to create a culture of academic scholarship through conference presentations and the writing of academic articles in peer reviewed journals and other media.
USE OF TECHNOLOGY
Championing Technology Enhanced Learning
- Complete the SMARTboard Teachers 4 Change Certification
- Oversee the integration of IWB technology and mobile devices into the B.Ed. classroom by working with Full-time lecturers for Education on each campus
- Champion the use of the SMARTboard and mobile devices to enhance learning within the School of Education Faculty in the region, i.e. to support the training of student teachers and lecturers.
- Complete training on the LMS Blackboard
- Be supportive of the VC Learn environment in relation to the Varsity College Teacher Education Programme and Module offerings
PERFORMANCE (RESULTS, ATTENDANCE AND THROUGHPUT RATES)
- Report on students academic results per semester for undergraduate Education students (on both the UNISA and IIE programmes) in the region. This includes analyzing:
- individual results
- AR reports
- National pass rate
- Identify modules in the region that require extra support and coordinate with the relevant support staff
- Manage students and parents complaints in conjunction with campus senior management
- Teach on a at least one module per semester
COMMUNICATION WITH THE HEAD OF SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
- National School of Education telecoms
- Semester visits and meetings with Head of School of Education
- School of Education Regional Feedback reports: Compiled at the end of each semester. To be shared with the Head of School of Education
- On-going informal communication via telephone and email as required
STRENGTHENING AND BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS WITH INDUSTRY
- Establish and develop the relationship with the teaching profession and schools in the region
- Oversee the establishment of the Mentor Teachers Forum on each campus. Support the FTL for Education on the campus as they roll out this initiative.
- The Programme Manager will need to be trained on the SAM reports and CAMS environment in order to pull reports as well as access student information for individual student tracking purposes.
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Assertiveness and dynamism
- Motivational skills
- Understanding of customer service
- Demonstrate an ability to manage work and self-pro-actively
- Ability to lead and manage a team
- Minimum of a B.Ed Honours Degree in Education or M.Ed in Education
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a similar role within the Education sector
- Relevant industry experience in Education
- Lecturing or teaching experience preferable